Since we are being forced to examine something we long thought decided, Alan Webber’s excellent report asks and then answers a number of questions:
- What is the history of the death penalty in New Mexico?
- What is the history of the death penalty in the United States? • Is the death penalty a proven deterrent to violent crime?
- Is the death penalty cost effective?
- How does the world see the death penalty?
- What alternatives to the death penalty are available as a way to make a statement about violent crime in New Mexico?
- How should such a serious issue be decided?
Save the full report for that moment when someone you know suggests that the Death Penalty should be restored. Thanks, Alan. Wouldn’t it be great if politicians referenced this kind of analysis in framing legislation?