1-29-21 Alert – Three Hearing Today: End-of-Life Options, Paid Legislature, Repeal Abortion Ban
Dear New Mexico Advocates:
We’re so happy to be involved in this effort with all of you! Thank you for putting your time and energy into this quest for social, economic, and environmental justice.
First, a few reminders about hearings today, Friday:
Fri., Jan. 29, 8:30 a.m., the House Health & Human Services Committee (HHHC) is scheduled to hear HB 47 Elizabeth Whitefield End-of-Life-Options Act. The link in the bill title takes you to talking points.Get the full details, including the Zoom link and committee member contact listfrom yesterday’s alert at this link.
Fri., Jan. 29, 9 a.m., the Senate Rules Committee (SRC) is scheduled to hear SJR 4 Review of Salaries Every Two Years, a bill that would pave the way for a paid legislature. Note that they’ve removed SB 100 Major & Minor Party Ballot Nominations, otherwise known as Fusion Voting, from the agenda. Get the full details about the hearingin yesterday’s alert at this link.
And what’s new today:
NEW: Fri., Jan. 29, 1:30 p.m., the House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hear HB 7 Repeal Abortion Ban. This bill passed the first House committee earlier this week and will move to the House Floor if it passes House Judiciary. Moving along very nicely! Get talking points at the link above and find contact info for committee members below. Please call and/or email committee members this morning, especially if your legislator is on the committee. Put “Please vote “yes” on HB 7,” in your subject line—if the email doesn’t get opened the main message will still be seen.
Use this link to join the webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89543370073. Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699009128,,89543370073# or +12532158782,,89543370073# Or Telephone: For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location: US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 Webinar ID: 895 4337 0073
House Judiciary Committee (HJC)
- Gail Chasey (D), Chair, 505-986-4411, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micaela Lara Cadena (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4210, email@example.com
- Eliseo Lee Alcon (D), 505-986-4416, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deborah A. Armstrong (D), 505-986-4344, email@example.com
- Zachary J. Cook (R), 505-986-4221, Zachary.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brian Egolf, 505-986-4782, email@example.com
- Daymon Ely (D), 505-986-4432, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Georgene Louis (D), 505-986-4346, email@example.com
- Matthew McQueen (D), 505-986-4423, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Nibert (R), 505-986-4211, email@example.com
- Bill R. Rehm (R), 505-986-4214, firstname.lastname@example.org
- James G. Townsend (R), 505-986-4758, email@example.com
We invite you to check out the resources on our NM Legislation page on our website, where you’ll find links to all Alerts in case you miss one, a brief schedule of upcoming hearings, House and Senate Committee contact info, Committee secretary contact info if you want to submit documents for committee hearing packets, a list of legislation we support, results of our 2021 Legislative Priorities Survey, and more.
And we invite you to join us today and every Friday, 3:30-4:30 p.m., for our Legislative Advocacy Strategy Meeting via Zoom. Please go to this link to register.
In solidarity and hope,
Roxanne and Paul