Retake Our Democracy hosts weekly Legislative Huddles via Zoom on Wednesday evenings, before and during the New Mexico Legislative Session. Our Huddles are a place where activists across the state can learn from one another and share what they know about upcoming legislation. We learn about essential issues and how we can all work together to support legislation we believe in and oppose legislation that we think would harm our state. By sharing information as bills advance through the legislature, we all become more successful advocates. When you join our Huddles and sign up for our Legislative Alerts, we’ll also provide you with well-researched talking points and counter arguments to false claims, contact info for legislators, hearing schedules of the bills we support, and regular updates on the status of those bills as they progress through the session. We make your activism easier! (Learn about bills we’ll support in the 2023 Session here.)
Register for upcoming Huddles:
- Weds., Feb 1, 6-7 p.m. We asked in our 1-25 Huddle if folks wanted a Huddle the night before our Green Amendment Zoominar and most hands went up, so here we are with tentative plans to move forward. Depending upon the pace of preparing bill materials for huddles, we my postpone to Feb 8, but register now and you will get an update. Click here to register.
Watch recordings of previous Huddles:
- Jan 25, 2023. Click here to watch. We took a deep dive into water with Norm Gaume, and also spent time on housing and rent control bills coming. We also had a discussion of tax bills that have been introduced,those that are coming tax bills and how they all fit together in an effort to make our tax system mor equitable and sustainable. And, as always, we talked about engaging legislators well before a bill is slated for a hearing.
- Jan 18, 2023. Click here to watch. We received a detailed update from Mary Feldblum on the Health Security Act , and discussed the implications of Patty Lundstrom’s demise, the PRC nomination process, and more.
- Jan. 11, 20213. Click here to watch. We covered a great deal of ground in this huddle, including PRC nominations, affordable housing, criminal justice reform, hydrogen, plus a review of bills we are supporting, and some of the nuances of advocacy this year at the Roundhouse.
- Jan. 4, 2023, Click here to watch. The huddle includes a shared screen tour of how to use our website to locate info on bills and how to prepare letters to the editor and op-eds.Recording cover the entire 55 minute hufddle.
- Dec. 14, 2022: Click here to watch. Recording begins 3-4 minutes in (oops!) — in the middle of discussion of a Criminal Justice Reform bill.
- Nov 30, 2022: Click here to watch.