Mike Hopkins, Board President of The Global Warming Express (GWE) has offered a $10,000 pledge in matching funds for all donations to GWE and GWE-directed donations to the Sierra Club Rio Grande chapter, between July 3 and July 22, 2017. Mike will match every dollar donated during this period up to a total of $10,000. Click here to get to GWE’s donate page. Read on to find out why your donation today is so important.
With Mike’s offer of matching funds, whatever you donate will have double the power and get GWE closer, faster, to its ultimate goal. This would be a great time to make your donation to our program.
Mike is making this substantial financial commitment, because he believes that this is one of the most important ways we can take direct action to counter efforts to undo hard-won EPA regulations, and to undermine public education. Taking matters into our own hands – giving the next generation of voters the information and the confidence they will need to speak truth to power – is the only way we’re going to get this done.
Most of you have probably reached the same conclusion that Mike has: that we cannot count on the federal government under this administration to represent our values – your values – to protect the planet and teach our kids the truth about the climate. If we are going to teach our kids fact-based climate science we’re going to have to do it ourselves. The GWE program not only does this but takes things one step further by unlocking our kid’s power to take direct action themselves. It’s a program that teaches and gets results.
If you want to see the entire GWE program timeline, go here but here are some highlights:
- September 15, 2013: The GWE After School program begins at Acequia MadreElementary! The 10 GWE kids decide on their Small Goal (getting water bottle machine removed) and Big Goal (solarizing their school)
- October 15, 2013: GWEers meet with Mayor Coss of Santa Fe, asking for support in getting their school solarized.
- October 15, 2013: GWEers meet with Mayor Coss of Santa Fe, asking for
support in getting their school solarized.
- January 30, 2014: Lisa Randall meets with GWEers to discuss the idea of a solar shade structure at the school. They help measure and calculate where to place the structure. Lisa warns them that it will cost over $100,000 that the School Dept will not fund, because theirs is such a small school
- February 2014: Go Green/GWE kids lobby for a plastic bag ban. 7 months later, plastic ban ban becomes law in Santa Fe
- April 29, 2015: Global Warming Express kids speak passionately about climate change, plastic and demand a paper bag fee ($.10) in our city. Fee is voted on and passed in the meeting
- March 2016: Acequia Madre Solar Shade Structure funded and completed, providing at least 50%, of the entire school’s electricity
- Earth Day, April 2016: Magnificent and Aiden accept the Governor’s Award of Excellence, on behalf of the GWE, in a ceremony in ABQ.
- September 2017: The GWE now numbers 300 kids and Marina and Joanna’s book, The Global Warming Express, has been printed and will be in bookstores in September.
A $100 donation to attend is suggested, but add $50 and you will be one of the first to receive a personally signed, pre-publication copy of The Global Warming Express while they last. The Global Warming Express is a 112 page book, recently published by Terra Nova Books, written by Marina Weber and illustrated by Joanna Whysner, the two original GWE kids.
Remember: Mike will match every dollar you donate. Please help me make our goal so that he will donate every penny of his $10,000 challenge pledge towards this worthy program.
Donations will also be taken at the event and may be made by check or credit card. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres and cash bar.
Want to see the book? Go here