Challengers to NM Senate DINOs
The NM Primary is almost here! Below you’ll find contact info for challengers to seven incumbent so-called Democratic Senators in our state who far too often vote with the Republicans. No matter where you live, you can help this field of excellent challengers win (6 of 7 are women!).
If you want to learn more about why these races are so important, please watch Fix the New Mexico Senate below. Produced by Eric Shimamoto, Andy Fertal, and Retake Our Democracy, the video lays out Eric’s excellent analysis of how five NM State Senate DINOs, or corporate Democrats, essentially control which bills are introduced and which bills get passed. It also describes how NY had the same problem, how they fixed it, and what a difference it made in the NY state legislature. It is a compelling video and worth your time. Viewing Fix the New Mexico State Senate will motivate you to get involved in one of the races below.
- In District 35, in mid-southern NM, Neomi Martinez-Parra challenges powerful Senate Finance Committee chairman John Arthur Smith. Go to neomi4nmsenate.com to learn how to help with the campaign. Neomi Martinez Parra has been endorsed by US Representative Deb Haaland. For Retake Our Democracy’s endorsement statement in this race, click here.
- In District 38 in Las Cruces, Carrie Hamblen is challenging Senate President Pro Tem Mary Kay Papen. Go to hamblennmsenate38.com to learn how you can help. This is now a winnable race as the second progressive challenger Tracy Perry withdrew due to her physical struggles after having back surgery. Click here to read Retake’s endorsement statement in this race.
- District 4 includes portions of San Juan, McKinley, and Cibola counties, including portions of the Navajo Nation. Noreen Ann Kelly, a Diné woman, challenges George Muñoz. You’ll find her campaign Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/noreen4nm/ and her website at https://people4noreen.com/. Click here to read Retake’s endorsement statement.
- In District 5, Rio Arriba County commissioner Leo Jaramillo challenges Richard Martinez. Go to leojaramillo.com to learn how you can help with the campaign. Or find him on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Leo-Jaramillo-for-NM-Senate-104681024398788/.
- In District 8 in northeastern NM, Connie Jimenez Trujillo, a nurse-midwife, challenges Pete Campos. Learn how to help with the campaign at her website: connietrujillo.com. Retake was not able to compile an endorsement statement for this race.
- In District 28 in southwestern New Mexico, Siah Correa Hemphill challenges Gabe Ramos. Go to siahforsenate.com to learn how you can help with the campaign. Hemphill has been endorsed by Governor Lujan Grisham and Senator Martin Heinrich. Click here to read Retake’s endorsement statement.
- In District 30, west of ABQ to the AZ border, Pam Cordova challenges Clemente Sanchez. Go to pamcordovaforsenate.com to learn how you can help with the campaign. Cordova has been endorsed by Senator Martin Heinrich. Click here to read Retake’s endorsement statement.
Fix the New Mexico Senate Or How a Handful of Corporate-Funded DINOs Throttle Progress