Find below, first the events of the coming week and then below this week’s actions is contact information about how you can canvass, call and contribute to key political campaigns (PRC/Roundhouse), as well as other actions that you can take on an ongoing basis. To be clear: This is a pivotal few months with primary and general election campaigns and we have a chance to alter the political environment in which we operate for the next 2-4 years. It is time to put our phones and feet to work and make sure we leave no stone unturned.
Actions For This Week
Donate to Retake Today! If you believe in what we are doing, we need your financial support to cover ongoing expenses. Most of these expenses are largely ‘invisible’ but amount to between $300-500/month. Our Rapid Response Network alone is $230 a month for NationBuilder, a data base that allows us to target emails to the 3500 folks in the network. But there are other costs involved in producing our ongoing emails, facility costs, printing, etc. We really don’t waste money here and we are 100% volunteers, so we do depend on you to cover these costs. While many have stepped forward, many more have not and every little bit helps. And Thank You!!!!
- Reconciliation & Re-remembering: A Community Dialogue. Thursday (TODAY) May 17, 5:30-8:30pm. Plaza De Espanola,,706 Bond St, Espanola, New Mexico 87532. in an unprecedented move, the Española Mayor and City Council made a decision to create a new fiesta council with the express purpose of removing the ultimate symbol of violence and colonization perpetrated against Native people in northern NM. Cultural conservatives and ruling class of Española are reeling from a perceived “threat to our culture”, despite the fact the Norteño culture extends well beyond the Fiesta pageantry. How will we, the working class people of Española and surrounding communities, work to build solidarity with our Pueblo neighbors? What conversations are required to facilitate truth-telling in the Valley? It has never been more obvious that the time has come to abolish Oñate from the Fiesta Entrada. This seems a very relevant discussion given, La Estrada and the easement and water issues in Española Valley,
Join us for a memorable evening of Spoken Word // Creative Expression // Music
on the theme of Identity, Family, and Fatherhood.
Following a semester-long collaboration with REEL FATHERS, students share from their hearts about what matters most to them. This is a Free Community Event. Come be inspired by the creativity of our Youth! Retake is always seeking ways to get youth to join our work. Maybe we need to show up for their work first. Join us.
Poor People’s Campaign Santa Fe. Monday May 21 in ABQ. Details are not available, but the direct action will be lead by Black Lives Matter and from what I hear may well be designed to be more confrontational, perhaps leading to many arrests. If you want to become part of the frontline team for this and future events, please email email@example.com to get on the list for future training and to be kept informed about NM events over the next 40 days. Find out more about the campaign at https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org
Local Action Team Mtg. Date TBD. 6-7:15pm at New Energy Economy 343 E. Alameda.The Local Action Team has been organizing around issues in Retake’s People’s Platform, creating plans for members to rotate appearances at City Council meetings to use public comment to educate the Council on policy options, and to match members of the committee with their City Council and begin meeting with them. The team is also focused on school board issues like the one that follows. This is a great way to advocate for social justice at a city level. For more information, contact Jennifer Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Roundhouse Advocacy Team. Thursday, May 24, June 14 & 28, 4:30-6:30pm at New Energy Economy, 343 E. Alameda. The Roundhouse Advocacy Team (or the Rat Pack) has been meeting for a year to develop a 2018-2019 Election and Legislative Strategy. We meet the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month, same time, same location. At the meeting on the 24th, we will finish defining the roles for each member of the team over the next seven months, taking us through the general election and leading up to the Roundhouse session in January. We will also distribute calling responsibilities for reaching out to other communities to begin developing our Rapid Response Network. Finally, we will plan participation in the Roundhouse Interim Committee Hearings. This would be a very good meeting for people who haven’t come before, to jump in. We need twice as many folks to devote a few hours a week to this work. There is much to do and a very cohesive, well-organized team already in place. Join us!
And if you can’t make it to these meetings, please just write to me, as there is PLENTY you can do from home and at your own pace. Write to me at Paul@RetakeOurDemocracy.org. This is where the action is, my friends. A tremendous team doing amazing work and a testimony to what a small group of committed folks can do.
If you haven’t taken the Speak Up New Mexico! Legislative Priorities survey, please do so today to tell your legislators what bills you want to see become law. Click the blue button at left to take the survey. And if you want to get involved with our 2018-2018 Roundhouse Advocacy Team, we meet on Thursday from 4:30-6:30pm at New Energy Economy, 343 E. Alameda. To RSVP, just write to me at paul@RetakeOurDemocracy.org. If you want to read about our 2018-2019 Election and Legislative Strategy, click here.
THIS IS A CRITICAL ONGOING ACTION AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TWO MINUTES TO COMPLETE. Contact Representative Ben Ray Lujan about Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee policies and campaign practices. We have run a series of posts covering the DCCC and its policies and practices that consistently tilt the scales in favor of centrist Democrats. The best way to catch up on all of the issues raised is to use the search function on the website and search for “Lujan.” But if you want to get the gist of it, this link, click here, takes you to a post that includes links six articles. Speaking points are easy: Stop tilting the scale and undermining progressive candidates.
We are in a unique position, as constituents of the Chair of the DCCC, we have an opportunity to pressure Lujan to do the right thing. In your own words, tell him you have his back, that you want him to stop DCCC tilting the scales for centrist candidates, you want him to encourage candidates to speak out on gun control and single payer healthcare, and you want him to ensure that progressive candidates get a fair deal in the primaries. Copy and paste the summary of concerns below into an email and write to Rep. Lujan at: email@example.com.
Since July, Retake has been covering the DCCC very undemocratic practices under Rep. Ben Ray Lujan’s leadership
- July 23 report on DCCC all too cozy relationship with Wall St and its corporate fundraising practices, click here.
- Aug 15 report on a meeting with Rep. Lujan where he outlined how the DCCC was keeping impartial in identifying House candidates and how the DCCC was stressing small donations over corporate support. Click here to review this report.
- Sept 13 report on how Rep. Lujan fared in terms of his support (or lack of support) of Our Revolutions 8 point People’s Platform. Click here to review that report.
- Feb 4 report on how the DCCC is systematically tilting the scale in dozens of 2018 House races and how the election of centrist Democrats with tight corporate ties leads to a Congress incapable of advancing progressive legislation. Click here.
- A Feb 24 report that focuses on a single race in Houston with the DCCC overtly undermining the campaign of a solid progressive candidate. Click here.
- On March 1, a post about the DCCC undermining single payer healthcare by telling candidates not to discuss it AND by working with a health insurance think tank to generate an alternative to single payer, Medicare Extra for All, a bogus bill that protests pharma and insurers. Click here.
National Action If Mueller is Fired. We will need to be ready at a moment’s notice. Read On for Santa Fe Plan. RISE Stronger New Mexico has scheduled a rapid response #Resistance Action in Santa Fe if special prosecutor Robert Mueller is fired. The local event details will mirror national plan which can be found here: https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response/search/?source=MFT/ The Santa Fe rally will begin hours after news breaks of a Mueller firing: If Mueller is fired BEFORE 2 P.M. local time —> events will begin @ 5 P.M. local time, If Mueller is fired AFTER 2 P.M. local time —> events will begin @ noon local time the following day. Our gathering place has been moved to the Railyard. Click here to RSVP for this event. It is not a Facebook event, so anyone can sign up.