Invest in a Just Future in New Mexico: Make a Contribution Today
We don’t like to push for donations. You get so many emails with a petition, or some kind of urgent emergency that requires 128 new donors by midnight. We don’t need any donors by midnight. But we do need donors who support this work on a regular basis. So we are going to post a link to this page in every post from now on. Let me explain why.
Since Retake Our Democracy is a 501-c-4 we simply can’t access foundation funding. We could have formed a 501-C-3, but then we could not publish anything about candidate preferences or information about where you can canvass to support a candidate and we would have limits to how much time we devote to lobbying at the legislature. Those limits won’t work for what we are trying to do. Since we are a 501-C-4, your donations are not tax deductible, so we ask you to view your donation as an investment in a just future for New Mexico. So, if you think what Retake is doing, then we ask you to invest in that work and in our development a statewide movement to advocate more effectively for climate, social, racial and economic justice in New Mexico.
We are all volunteers, but we have the following ongoing costs:
- $239 / month for Nation Builder, the platform we use to send out alerts.
- $15/month for Zoom, the tool we use to convene meetings with people from throughout the state.
- $50/month for MailChimp which we use to send emails to groups of prospects to encourage their joining us
- $25-$50/month for facility rental
- $25-$50 / month in meeting and printing supplies
- $25/mo for retakeourdemocracy email–
- Periodic costs for buttons, stickers and web hosting that can run into a few hundred dollars
We try to contain costs and pay close attention to where the money goes. So for example, we noted that we were spent over $1500 on printing of flyers last year. So we invested $400 in a printer that could do color and large paper sizes and have produced all flyers in-house since January, saving us a ton of money during the Roundhouse. But this was a significant cost. We plan to invest in some video equipment so we can record video interviews and post them on a Retake YouTube station, but this will require a small investment.
Plus as we begin aggressive outreach to other communities, Roxanne and I will be traveling to other parts of the state. These are not vacations and so we seek reimbursement for gas and hotels, if we are not hosted by a supporter as we were in Silver City. This can cost several hundred dollars for a 3-4 day foray to a region. Also we are going to invest in 3-4 Surface tablets so that at meetings we can have our contact log (with all of our supporters entered). This way there will be no sign up sheets to decipher and enter when we get home. Instead, when you come to a meeting you will be greeted by a volunteer who will ask your name. If you are in our system, your email address will come up and we can just check a box that you came to the event. If you are new, in two minutes we can enter your name and email address and check boxes for signing up for action alerts or the blog or both. Done. Nothing to enter when we get home.
These are the costs of building a movement in New Mexico and we ask you to become investing shareholders in this movement either by:
- Clicking the Donate button above and making a donation today; or and far better,
- Clicking the Donate button above and committing to a more modest but monthly donation. Each of your financial situations are different, but many of you will not miss $10, $20 or $50 a month and some may well be able to contribute even more.
- Don’t like Paypal? Please send us a check made to Retake Our Democracy and mail to Retake Our Democracy, P.O. Box 32464, Santa Fe, NM 87594.
Thank you very much. Together we can make New Mexico something other than 50th ….for once.
Paul & Roxanne