Local Choice Energy Today at 1:30, Community Solar and Sustainable Economy Task Force tomorrow. It is time to see if we can get some energy/environment bills through.
We think that it might be a good idea for you to focus your efforts, ignore GOP legislators, unless you have a strong relationship with them, and devote more time to personalizing advocacy to the dems to whom you write/call. We can count the number of GOP votes we’ve gotten on one hand, so the focus should be to make sure Dems support our bills.
Also, we keep hearing that legislators are buried in email, so it is important to use the subject line of your email to identify the bill name, bill number and that you support the bill. “I am an active Dem and strongly support SB 83 Local Choice Energy” would be a good subject line and if you are a constituent add that, as well. Onward!!! Nine days to go. Let’s do this!!!
Good Morning New Mexico Activists:
First, we want to tell you about a change in the agenda for this afternoon’s Senate Tax, Business & Transportation Committee. Most importantly, they’ve added SB 83 Local Choice Energy! See the new info below. We also have one new hearing tomorrow: SB 84 Community Solar Act and SB112 Sustainable Economy Task Force will be heard in House State Govt., Elections & Indian Affairs.
REVISED AGENDA (SB 83 added, SB 198 removed), Thurs., March 11, 1:30 p.m. (or 15 mins. after Floor Session), Senate Tax, Business & Transportation: HB 291 Tax Changes (1), HB 15 Sustainable Building Tax Credit (2), SB 83 Local Choice Energy Act (5), HB 90 Tax Penalties & Remedies (14), HB 98 Omnibus Tax Bill (15). Get talking points for SB 83 at the link in the bill title. We don’t have talking points for the others, but you can read about general advocacy for tax and revenue reform at this link, where some of other tax bills above are described. All of these bills are worth supporting.
Please email and call committee members this morning to urge them to pass these bills. Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or join the hearing using the instructions below. Note that the deadline to participate in the hearing is today at 10 a.m.
For Public Participation send an email to SCORC@nmlegis.gov with: Name, Entity Representing, Bill #, For or Against, and email address by March 11, 2021 at 10 am. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with virtual meeting instructions.
Senate Tax, Business & Transportation Committee (STBTC)
- Benny Shendo, Jr. (D), Chair, 505-397-8849, email@example.com
- Michael Padilla (D), Vice Chair, 505-397-8840, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gay G. Kernan (R), Ranking Member, 505-986-4274, email@example.com
- Craig W. Brandt (R), 505-986-4385, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ron Griggs (R), 505-986-4391, email@example.com
- Carrie Hamblen (D), 505-397-8827, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martin Hickey (D), 505-397-8828, email@example.com
- Leo Jaramillo (D), 505-397-8831, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joshua A. Sanchez (R), 505-986-4375, email@example.com
- Bill Tallman (D), 505-397-8854, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peter Wirth (D), 505-397-8855, email@example.com
NEW: Fri., March 12, 9 a.m., House State Govt., Elections & Indian Affairs: SB 84 Community Solar Act (2), SB 112 Sustainable Economy Task Force (3). Get talking points for SB 112 at the link in the bill title. As for SB 84, it was re-amended in House Energy, Environment & Nat. Resources on Tuesday to restore some of the bill’s integrity that was compromised in the Senate. But it would be a much better bill with the following additional amendments from New Energy Economy:
- Remove language that allows utility companies to own community solar projects.
- Remove language that gives ownership of renewable energy credits to utility companies.
- Remove the requirement for each project to have 30% low-income subscribership.
Please call and email committee members today to urge them to support these bills. In your email, please request the additional amendments to SB 84.
Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov or join the Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89283197941. Or iPhone one-tap: US: +16699009128,,89283197941# or +12532158782,,89283197941# Or Telephone: For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location: US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 Webinar ID: 892 8319 7941.
House State Government, Elections & Indian Affairs Committee (HSEIC)
- Georgene Louis (D), Chair, 505-986-4346, firstname.lastname@example.org
- D. Wonda Johnson (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4433, email@example.com
- Gail Chasey (D), 505-986-4411, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daymon Ely (D), 505-986-4243, email@example.com
- Doreen Y. Gallegos (D), 505-986-4774, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Nibert (R), 505-986-4211, email@example.com
- Kristina Ortez (D), 505-986-4254, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill R. Rehm (R), 505-986-4214, email@example.com
- Martin R. Zamora (R), 505-986-4211, firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: Fri., March 12, 12 p.m., House Commerce & Economic Development: SB 66 Permitted Percentage Rates for Loans (1). This bill would reduce the predatory lending interest rate from 175% to 36%. We need this now more than ever! Get talking points at the link in the bill title and please call and email members today to urge them to pass this bill.
Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov or join the Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83846715600. Or iPhone one-tap US: +12532158782, ,83846715600# or +13462487799,,83846715600# Or Telephone: For higher quality, dial based on your current location: US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 Webinar ID: 838 4671 5600.
House Commerce and Economic Development Committee (HCEDC)
- Antonio Maestas, (D), Chair, 505-986-4333, email@example.com
- Natalie Figueroa, (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4255, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alonzo Baldonado, (R), 505-986-4221, email@example.com
- Rebecca Dow, (R), 505-986-4336, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly K. Fajardo, (R), 505-986-4215, email@example.com
- Doreen Y. Gallegos, (D), 505-986-4774, firstname.lastname@example.org
- D. Wonda-Johnson (D), 505-986-4433, email@example.com
- Javier Martinez (D), 505-986-4428, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane E. Powdrell-Culbert, (R), 505-986-4214, email@example.com
- Linda Serrato, (D), 505-986-4464, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are grateful for your generous commitment of time and energy to this process. Thank you!
In solidarity and hope,
Roxanne and Paul