Very short one today, as you will be buried in emails from organizations seeking donations. We are suggesting a few worthwhile organizations, including Retake. If you haven’t registered for the Zoom today, you’d best do so now. Read on! Give on!
Tuesday, Dec. 1, 6:30 – 8 pm. Election Debrief and 2021 Legislative Agenda Review with Senate Floor Leader Peter Wirth, Speaker of the House Brian Egolf and Senate Pro-Tem elect, Sen. Mimi Stewart. We will discuss how the primaries and the general election have altered the House and Senate. We will ask Sen. Stewart how the change in the Senate and her becoming the Senate Pro-Tem may influence committee structure and prospects of bills passing the Senate. We will also discuss the impact that a Covid-limited session might have upon our chances for getting transformational legislation passed in 2021 and whether, given the revenue crisis, the legislature may be receptive to increasing revenues by closing corporate loopholes. We will ask all the panelists to offer their views on the prospects for bills like the Health Security Act, Public Banking, the Green Amendment and more. We will have 60 minutes of questions gleaned from conversations with allies and then open things up to attendees to ask questions. This Zoom room is filling up very quickly and you MUST register. We have created an automatic email going to all who are registered one hour before the Zoom begins. It includes all of the questions we plan to ask. Cheers.
Retake has formed alliances with many agencies that are in the trenches either battling for progressive policies benefiting long disenfranchised communities or the environment. The staff at these organizations work long hours, generally at depressed wages to address critical community needs, pulling rabbits out of hats, cobbling together organizations with too little funding and tremendous visions. Please send a donation today.
- Click here To donate to Earth Care/YUCCA’s Covid 19 Mutual Aid Network, a great way to focus your resources directly to the people whose health and housing are most vulnerable to Covid. The Network is comprised of community volunteers working to support one another, friends, family, and neighbors to meet each other’s basic survival needs at this critical time. It is a system of community to community support and organization for resource sharing, information dissemination, and resilience-building. The Santa Fe Mutual Aid Network is a grassroots-led effort with organizing and coordination support from Earth Care YUCCA/Poder Familiar, Red Nation, the Democratic Socialists of America – Santa Fe, and Fathers New Mexico.
- Click here to contribute to TEWA Women’s United, was formed to end all forms of violence against Native Women and girls, Mother Earth and to promote peace in New Mexico. Most recently, TEWA Women’s United collaborated with Communities for Clear Water to organize opposition to LANL’s handling of the chromium plume threatening our water. This year we have two matching grants totaling $20,000 from the Decolonizing Wealth Project and the GeoFamily Foundation. Your gift of $50 will become $100, $100 will become $200, $500 will become $1,000 – any amount will be doubled and go twice as far.
- Click here to donate to Working Families Party. Working Families Party is one of the most important organization in NM responsible for unseating so many NM State Senate DINOs, The work is not finished.
- Click here to donate to NM Voices for Children. There is no non-profit in the state better at advocating for children. Their analysis of the correlation between state revenue policy and the health and well-being of children is so important. They have become one of our most important allies.
- Click here, to contribute to Somos Un Pueblo Unido. Somos works to build a community that does not discriminate against people based on their national origin, that institutes humane migration policies, and that protects the human rights of everyone irrespective of where they are born or what documents they carry.
- Click here to contribute to Chainbreaker Collective. Chainbreaker works to expand access to affordable housing and affordable transportation and to support economically and environmentally sustainable communities for low-income people in Northern New Mexico.
- Click here to contribute to Earth Care. Earth Care is a youth empowerment and community development organization that educates, empowers and supports the positive development of young people. They cultivate the natural innovation and creativity of youth to create health, just and sustainable communities and they place youth at the center of all they do and they launched and support YUCCA.
- Click here to contribute to New Energy Economy. NEE is a climate change hero and the dogged opposition to PNM. They seek to build a renewable energy future for the health of our community and our environment. Today only, your donation will be matched, doubling its impact. Help us bring the gift of clean energy to Casa Milagro, a refuge for formerly homeless and mentally ill neighbors in Santa Fe. Your gift will make a tremendous impact, allowing Casa Milagro to invest saved utility funds in programs that directly benefit residents. Join artist Erin Currier in supporting the building of beloved community in Santa Fe.
- Click here to contribute to KSFR, your publicly supported radio station, the voice of Santa Fe and the home of Retake Our Democracy’s weekly radio show that airs at 8:30am every Saturday.
Can You Help Us Out Today?
Retake Our Democracy runs on a shoestring budget, is 100% volunteer operated and rarely asks for donations. Indeed, it has been months, as we wanted you to use all your resources to support good candidates.
We rely on about 25-30 folks who make modest monthly donations and others who contribute more significant amounts once or twice a year, but every once in awhile we need to ask all of you for support. A couple months ago we paid $1600 for a year for expanded Zoom capacity so we could accommodate the huge number of people registered for Zooms like tonight (we are approaching 300 registrants; our old package limited us to 100). So we would like you to consider all the worthy causes above, but maybe just save a bit for us, too.
In solidarity, hope and gratitude,
Paul & Roxanne
Categories: Social Safety Net