We are beyond happy. While some votes are still to be counted, there is no doubt what has happened. A grassroots wave has swept the DINOs from the Senate. Join us at 5pm for a Deliriously Happy Hour Zoom Toast. Read on.
First, thanks to the many of you who sent emails our ways this morning, thanking us for our work. In truth, while we clearly played our part– mostly by educating and motivating — the heavy lifting was done by folks from Working Families Party, Olé, Strong FamilesNM, a raft of Indivisible chapters….and you.
Thank you all. We told you we could do this.
In a different world, last night Roxanne and I would have trekked to ABQ to be at a Working Families Party reception or at some hall in Santa Fe with Teresa and so many others of our Santa Fe peeps.
There would have been anxiety over the early returns and euphoria around 11pm when things shifted. There would have been hugs and high fives shared through tears of joy.
Instead Roxanne and I went to bed at 10, figuring we’d likely get one or two wins. Then we woke up and saw what was happening. We’ve been bouncing off the walls since then.
- Teresa lapped the field.
- In Sen. Dist 5, Leo Jaramillo trounced Sen. Martinez.
- In Sen Dist. 28 Siah Correa Hemphill dished out a landslide to Sen. Ramos.
- In Sen Dist 30. Pam Cordova walloped Sen. Clemente Sanchez.
- In Sen Dist 35, Neomi Martinez-Parra ousted Sen. John Arthur Smith….pinch me.
- In Sen. Dist. 38 Carrie Hamblen has narrowly removed Sen Pro-tem Mary Kay Papen,
We held off on sending this out this morning in hopes we’d get more final results for Sen. Dists. 35 and 38, but those results are just trickling in. Martinez-Parra holds a 450 vote lead (54%-45%) and the remaining votes are from Las Cruces, likely to favor her. Holding a smaller lead, Hamblen is still up by 150 votes, also with about 3000 absentee ballots from Doña Ana county. Very likely by the time we toast, these races will be decided and if by some miracle we were to lose one of these, we would still have PLENTY to celebrate. But we won’t lose those either.
Now to give you an idea what can happen in 2021 Legislative Session:
- Health Security Act, historically killed by John Arthur Smith or Clemente Sanchez. With both gone, very doable now.
- Abortion Decriminalization. The only Senate Dems remaining of the 8 who voted it down are Muños and Campos. We’ll get this bill done and quickly.
- Substantive tax reform, significantly increasing state revenues and eliminating tax loopholes, both long over due and always killed by Papen, Smith, and Sanchez…all gone.
- Legalized marijuana…same barriers, all gone.
- Community Solar and Energy Choice… same barriers, all gone.
- REAL regulation of gas and oil–the Land Commissioner must be dancing on the ceiling.
- EARLY CHILDHOOD $$$$$.
So let’s celebrate tonight. 5pm, Deliriously Happy Hour Zoom Toast. Click here to receive your invite. No program, no long talks, just a few toasts, light banter and then we’ll be done. Party hats welcome.
Crank Up the Volume
Cuz We’ve Got TONS to Celebrate
And Hoot & Holler
Because today, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Now Take that Feeling and
Recommit to This Kind of Win in November
I have lost count of how many times, when I’ve felt down, I have turned to Valarie Kaur for inspiration and hope. Maybe the darkness is the darkness of the womb.
In solidarity, joy and hope,
Paul & Roxanne