Growing evidence that Trump’s disregard for Mueller, fawning to Putin, war on respected media, claims of voter fraud, and complete disregard for truth is not just a President who needs to go, but a dictator who needs to be prevented
The Evidence Mounts: 1984 Is Possibly Near at Hand
For some time I have been concerned that ever so slowly, Trump has been preparing America for the moment that Mueller is fired, or when the 2020 election is cancelled because of voter fraud, or when hordes of activists are rounded up and called ‘enemies of the Nation.” He has already cast the media as being enemies of the people, as the article from Business Weekly below describes, but that is only icing, this cake has been in the oven for some time and now seems fully baked. Consider this, a very small sampling of Trump and his carefully crafted lies.
- Throughout his 2015-16 campaign Trump tweeted and taunted, dismissing each of his opponents with derogatory labels and slurs and goading crowds to chant “Lock her up.” At the time we were appalled but almost daily we have been faced another offense to democracy;
- Lies about three million fraudulent voters in 2016 and a commission investigation that had to be stopped as the evidence found undermined Trump’s claims, click here for a Chicago Tribune report on how this Commission had to be forced through court action to release the background documentation to the four Democratic members of the Commission;
- Hyperbolic lies about the extent of violence of new immigrants and MS-13 gangs designed to plant fear among his supporters and references to immigrants as animals;
- Erasing all reference to climate science from all government websites;
- Statements about Deep State bureaucrats who are out to undermine his administration;
- Collusion is not a crime and orders to the Attorney General to stop the hoax; and perhaps most laughably
- Claims that the Russians may not try to rig the 2018 midterms because they are fearful of Donald Trump who has been “far tougher on the Russians than any Democrat.”
All of this is designed to discredit any and all rational opposition and to promote himself as the sole adjudicator of truth in America. Read on.
Long Time GOP Strategist: A Canary in the Coal Mine
Schmidt went on to reference George Orwell’s “1984,” a dystopian novel about a totalitarian society, and described Trump’s allure as something “straight out of” that book. “When that happens, you’re no longer living in a Democratic republic,” Schmidt added. “Thirty-five percent of this country has checked out. They have joined a cult. They are obedient. They are obedient to the leader.”
And when 35% of the GOP has “checked out” and joined a cult, then we are in very deep trouble. As the rallies this past week have demonstrated, Trump has pointed to the media section of the rally and called them the enemy of the people; he has whipped his crowd into a frenzy where they flip off, turn thumbs down and swipe their hands across their necks, you can see the seeds of what may be next. Click here to read the full Business Insider report.
We have become inured to Trump’s onslaught on truth, his marginalizing and demonizing truth and his opponents, and his isolation of the US from our allies throughout the world. Politico assembled a 10-page summary of Trump lies. Scrolling through them is terrifying as you will find reminder after reminder of the scope of Trump’s absolute disregard for the truth. It is bad enough that we have a President who lies virtually daily, but his attacks on core institutions of democracy should send chills down our spine. The Department of Justice, the electoral process, Congress, science, the media, the onslaught is only escalating and, as described in one of the video’s below, the fear should be:
- What happens if he loses the Senate and the House in 2018?
- What happens when Cohen’s testimony proves collusion?
- What happens when he loses the 2020 election in a landslide or before that when a Congress impeaches and convicts him?
I found three very recent Bill Maher videos below. The first video includes the commentary from longtime GOP strategist Steve Schmidt. A small sampling of his commentary is cited above. The second video includes a lighter, but no less scary Bill Maher monologue from Friday night (the first three minutes is hilarious). Lastly is another panel that is perhaps most frightening of all as it includes a Trump apologist who is apparently willing to abide by almost any abrogation of the truth.
Over the past 18 months we have heard a weak-kneed opposition from the Democratic Party, but more frighteningly, we have seen the complete acquiescence of GOP leadership, elected leaders who we progressives may have no faith in, but who historically had some shred of decency. Fearful of becoming the target of bullying, the GOP has gone along with Trump even as he shreds the truth and supports a pedophile in an Alabama Senate primary. The extent to which the GOP will look the other way as Trump creates an alternative reality with Kool-Aid for his core supporters should be terrifying.
We are in deep and getting deeper. Suggestions?
Paul & Roxanne
Maher with Steve Schmidt, GOP Strategist. The Canary in the Coal Mine
Maher’s Scary but Hilarious Monologue
Still More Terrifying Information on the State of Our Nation
Categories: Election, Political Reform & National Politics