Good Morning New Mexico Activists:
A brief note to tell you that HB 6 Clean Future Act will not be heard this morning in House Govt., Elections & Indian Affairs. They’ve rolled the bill to a subsequent hearing to have more time to understand the new committee substitute. We empathize, because though we could not initially support HB 6 without substantial amendments, we want you to know that after much thought and discussion, we have decided to cautiously support this bill.
We feel that though amendments have not gone far enough, they are a meaningful improvement. We fear that holding out for the perfect could wind up being the enemy of the good. What’s more, NM Oil & Gas Assoc. is pouring money into opposing the bill. We can’t fathom aligning our position with NMOGA. This is a very hard call because the amendments we still seek are important, and you may find yourself wanting to continue opposition to the bill. But consider that if you do, you may be in the company of a NMOGA lobbyist or an exec. from a big fossil fuel corporation.
So, our recommendation is to support the current committee substitute of HB 6, but to identify amendments sought in our summary at the link below. We apologize that this shift in position came so late, but this has been a very tough call. Read our revised speaking points at this link to learn about amendments that are still needed.
If you previously called and wrote to committee members in opposition, we hope that you will reconnect and express your support of HB 6. (See HGEIC contact list after the closing of this note.) Just as we hope our legislators are, we are open to changing our minds when new information is offered!
Again, our apologies. This was a difficult decision in the midst of a very difficult Session. Thank you for your dedication to social, economic, and environmental justice in New Mexico!
In hope & solidarity,
Roxanne & Paul
- Chair: Georgene Louis (D). District 26 (Bernalillo). Room 306, (505) 986-4329. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair: D. Wonda Johnson (D). District 5 (McKinley and San Juan). Room 413D, (505) 986-4435. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Gail Chasey (D). District 18 (Bernalillo). Room 308, (505) 986-4411. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Daymon Ely (D). District 23 (Bernalillo & Sandoval). Room 205A, (505) 986-4243. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Doreen Y. Gallegos (D). District 52 (Doña Ana). Room 134, (505) 986-4780. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Greg Nibert (R). District 59 (Chaves & Lincoln). Room 203EN, (505) 986-4467. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Kristina Ortez (D). District 42 (Taos). Room 203CN, (505) 986-4254. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: William “Bill” R. Rehm (R). District 31 (Bernalillo). Room 201B, (505) 986-4214. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Martin R. Zamora (R). District 63 (Curry, DeBaca, Guadalupe, Roosevelt & San Miguel). Room 203EN, (505) 986-4467. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To send group email, copy and paste this block: “Gail Chasey” <email@example.com>, “Daymon Ely” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Doreen Y. Gallegos” <email@example.com>, “D. Wonda Johnson” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Georgene Louis” <email@example.com>, “Greg Nibert” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Kristina Ortez” <email@example.com>, “William “Bill” R. Rehm” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Martin R. Zamora” <email@example.com>