Good Afternoon, New Mexico Activists:
There are two high-priority gun violence prevent bills coming up for a hearing on Tuesday. See details below. If you missed yesterday’s Alert about the Monday hearing for HJR 2 Legislative Session Changes and HJR 8 Legislative Salaries, you’ll find it at this link.
On Tues., Feb. 7, 1:30 p.m., Room 317, House Consumer & Public Affairs will hear HB 100 14-Day Waiting Period for Firearm Sales, and HB 101 Large-Capacity Magazines & Assault Weapons. HB 100, introduced by Rep. Andrea Romero, would require a 14-day waiting period before a gun purchaser can take possession of the weapon. HB 101, also introduced by Rep. Romero, would prohibit the possession, manufacture, purchase, or sale of large-capacity firearm magazines and assault weapons in New Mexico, making it a 4th-degree felony. We don’t have talking points yet for these bills, but if you watch the news you already know why we need legislation like this badly. And we need lots of support for these bills to pass!
FYI, the committee is also scheduled to hear HB 164 Permitless Carry of Firearms, introduced by conservative Republican Rep. John Block, at the Tuesday hearing. HB 164 would allow carrying a loaded firearm without a permit, so if you plan to give public comment you can vehemently oppose this one!
Please call and email committee members today, but by Monday at the latest, to urge them to vote “YES” on HB 100 and HB 101. You can offer public comment at the hearing in person, or via Zoom at this link:: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89037370054. One tap mobile US: +13462487799, 89037370054# or +16694449171, 89037370054#. Webinar ID: 890 3737 0054.
House Consumer and Public Affairs Committee
- Chair: Joanne J. Ferrary (D). District 37 (Doña Ana). Room 314C, 986-4844. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair: Angelica Rubio (D). District 35 (Doña Ana). Room 204B, 986-4210. Email: email@example.com
- Ranking Member: Stefani Lord (R). District 22 (Bernalillo & Torrance). Room 203HN, 986-4453. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: John Block (R). District 51 (Otero). Room 202B, 986-4220. Email: John.Block@nmlegis.gov
- Member: Andrea Romero (D). District 46 (Santa Fe). Room 205A, 986-4243. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Elizabeth “Liz” Thomson (D). District 24 (Bernalillo). Room 314B, 986-4425. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copy and paste this list for bulk email: “John Block” <John.Block@nmlegis.gov>, “Joanne J. Ferrary” <email@example.com>, “Stefani Lord” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Andrea Romero” <email@example.com>, “Angelica Rubio” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Elizabeth “Liz” Thomson” email@example.com
That’s all we have for now. Thank you for being in this effort with us!
In Gratitude and Solidarity,
Roxanne and Paul