NOTE (2-16-21): HB 207 Food, Hunger & Farm Act has been postponed to Tues., Feb 18, 8:30 a.m.
2-12-21 Alert – Monday: Health Sec., Predatory Lending Rate, Produced Water Amendments; Plus 4 Saturday Hearings!
Dear New Mexico Activists:
Our Transformational bills have passed all their committee hearings so far! This includes SB 10 Repeal Abortion Ban, which passed on the Senate Floor yesterday 25:17. You and other advocates across the state deserve some credit for helping to make democracy work! All except one Priority bill has passed — SB 100 Major & Minor Party Ballot Nominations (Fusion Voting) was killed in Senate Rules earlier this week. It’s unclear why the Chair, Senator Ivey-Soto, did not allow any public comment, not even from expert witnesses invited by the bill sponsor. Supporters of SB 100 are understandably unhappy with Senator Ivey-Soto.
Please note that even if you don’t want to or can’t join and stay on the Zoom for the whole hearing, if you join House hearings they will often take a pro/con vote using the “Raise Hand” function on Zoom. So consider joining the Zoom to raise your hand for the count, and then you can get off or finish watching via Webcast.
And some Senate committees are now taking written comments (300 words or less) if you want to submit something in advance or can’t join the Zoom to speak. See instructions in each hearing description below. Please don’t let this stop you from making your usual calls and sending email to committee members. The more avenues we use, the more effective we’ll be!
Before we get to 3 new hearings, a few reminders for Sat., Feb. 13: (Get the info you need to advocate and participate in Saturday’s hearings at this link to yesterday’s Alert.)
- 9 a.m. Senate Conservation: SB 155 Energy Transmission Authority Changes, amends the Energy Transition Act (ETA), and SB 149 Prohibit New Fracking Licenses
- 10 a.m. House Health & Human Services: HB 12 Cannabis Regulation Act
- POSTPONED TO THURS., FEB. 18:
1 p.m. House Agriculture & Water Resources: HB 207 Food, Hunger & Farm Act
- 2 p.m. House Judiciary: HB 47 Elizabeth Whitefield End-of-Life Options Act and HB 50 Private Right of Action for Certain Statutes
NEW: Mon., Feb. 15, 8:30 a.m. House Health & Human Services: HB 203 Health Security Planning & Design Board Act. This bill is the next step to implementing the Health Security Act in New Mexico. Let’s get this passed! Get talking points at the link above, and please call and email committee members today to urge them to support the bill. Watch the hearing Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or join the webinar here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89853256841. Or iPhone one-tap : US: +13462487799,,89853256841# or +16699009128,,89853256841# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 Webinar ID: 898 5325 6841
NOTE: Rep Deborah Armstrong is a bill sponsor, so no need to contact her except to say thank you.
House Health and Human Services Committee (HHHC)
- Deborah A. Armstrong (D), Chair, 505-986-4344, email@example.com
- Joanne J. Ferrary (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4438, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phelps Anderson (R), 505-986-4450, email@example.com
- Gail Armstrong (R), 505-986-4242, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brittney Barreras (D), 505-986-4248, email@example.com
- Karen C. Bash (D), 505-986-4236, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stefani Lord (R), 505-986-4453, email@example.com
- Marian Matthews (D), 505-986-4248, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roger E. Montoya (D), 505-986-4464, email@example.com
- Luis M. Terrazas (R), 505-986-4336, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liz Thomson (D), 505-986-4425, email@example.com
NEW: Mon. Feb 15, 1:30 p.m. Senate Judiciary: SB 66 Permitted Percentage Rates for Loans and SB 86 Use of Water for Oil & Gas Operations (amends Produced Water Act).Get talking points at the links above and please call and email committee members today to urge them to support these bills. You may also offer public comment or submit written comment to the committee per instructions below. Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov or follow these instructions from the committee: For public participation send an email to SJC@nmlegis.gov with your Name, Entity Represented, Bill #, For or Against and indicate if you wish to speak. If you wish to provide written comments, keep them to 300 words or less. The deadline to respond is Sunday, February 14 at 5:00 p.m. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with the virtual meeting instructions.
- Joseph Cervantes (D), Chair, 505-397-8820, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill B. O’Neill (D), Vice Chair, 505-397-8838, email@example.com
- Cliff R. Pirtle (R), Ranking Member, 505-986-4369, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gregory A. Baca (R), 505-986-4877, email@example.com
- Katy M. Duhigg (D), 505-397-8823, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel A. Ivey-Soto (D), 505-397-8830, email@example.com
- Linda M. Lopez (D), 505-397-8833, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Moores (R), 505-986-4856, email@example.com
- Mimi Stewart (D), 505-397-8853, firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Weds., Feb. 17, 8:30 a.m. House State Govt., Elections & Indian Affairs: HB 9 Climate Solutions Act. This bill would create a state Climate Leadership Council with a diverse membership from across departments, tribes, local govts., impacted communities, and more. The Council would create a statewide framework for addressing climate change and developing sustainable economy, establishing statewide greenhouse gas emissions reduction requirements, directing state agencies to adopt rules to achieve statewide greenhouse gas emissions reductions and foster inclusion in workforce development and procurement related to climate solutions. Please call and email committee members before Wednesday morning to urge them to support this bill. Use the link below to join the Zoom, or watch the hearing via Webcast at nmlegis.gov.
Use this link to join the webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89283197941 Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699009128,,89283197941# or +12532158782,,89283197941# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 Webinar ID: 892 8319 7941
House State Government, Elections & Indian Affairs Committee (HSEIC)
- Georgene Louis (D), Chair, 505-986-4346, email@example.com
- D. Wonda Johnson (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4433, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gail Chasey (D), 505-986-4411, email@example.com
- Daymon Ely (D), 505-986-4432, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doreen Y. Gallegos (D), 505-986-4780, email@example.com
- Greg Nibert (R), 505-986-4211, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristina Ortez (D), 505-986-4254, email@example.com
- Bill R. Rehm (R), 505-986-4214, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martin R. Zamora (R), 505-986-4211, email@example.com
We have five weeks left of this session, so we hope you’re with us for the long haul. We can do this together!
In solidarity and hope,
Roxanne and Paul