Good Evening New Mexico Activists:
We’re sorry to report that HJR 2 Environmental Rights (Green Amendment) was tabled tonight in House Judiciary by a 9:3 vote, which means it’s dead, at least for this year. Also in the bad-news category: HB 228 (Hydrogen Hub) passed in House Commerce & Economic Development. It now moves to the House Floor, so we have some work to do! More on our strategy to defeat HB 228 tomorrow.
HB 6 Clean Future Act was heard today but carried over for further discussion in House Govt., Elections & Indian Affairs on Saturday at Noon, Rm. 305. Public comment is over, but you can watch the hearing via Webcast at nmlegis.gov. And HB 37 Energy Efficiency Block Grants was removed from the Senate Finance agenda and will likely be heard at a later meeting.
Just one new hearing on Saturday:
NEW! Sat., Feb. 12, 9 a.m. Rm. 317, House Judiciary is scheduled to hear SB 43 Prohibiting Life Without Parole for a Child (aka Second Chance). This bill is on the fast track. It passed in House Consumer & Public Affairs yesterday, 3:2, along party lines. If it passes HJC it will move to the House Floor for a final vote! This human rights/social justice bill will make a difference in the lives of many families in our state. Please call and email committee members tonight to ask them to support SB 43. We also encourage you to join the hearing via Zoom to offer public comment, take the on-screen poll, and express your support for the bill. Or watch the hearing via Webcast at nmlegis.gov.
To join the Zoom webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83315484306. One tap mobile: +12532158782, 83315484306# or +13462487799, 83315484306#. Or for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656. Webinar ID: 833 1548 4306.
- Chair: Gail Chasey (D). District 18 (Bernalillo). Room 308, (505) 986-4411. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair: Micaela Lara Cadena (D). District 33 (Dona Ana). Room 204B, (505) 986-4210. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Eliseo Lee Alcon (D). District 6 (Cibola & McKinley). Room 314A, (505) 986-4416. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Deborah A. Armstrong (D). District 17 (Bernalillo). Room 205B, (505) 986-4242. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Christine Chandler (D). District 43 (Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Sandoval and Santa Fe). Room 316B, (505) 986-4420. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Zachary J. Cook (R). District 56 (Lincoln and Otero). Room 203B, (505) 986-4226. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Brian Egolf (D). District 47 (Santa Fe). Room 104, (505) 986-4782. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Daymon Ely (D). District 23 (Bernalillo & Sandoval). Room 205A, (505) 986-4243. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Georgene Louis (D). District 26 (Bernalillo). Room 306, (505) 986-4329. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Matthew McQueen (D). District 50 (Bernalillo, Santa Fe, Torrance and Valencia). Room 316A, (505) 986-4423. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Greg Nibert (R). District 59 (Chaves & Lincoln). Room 203EN, (505) 986-4467. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: William “Bill” R. Rehm (R). District 31 (Bernalillo). Room 201B, (505) 986-4214. Email: email@example.com
- Member: James G. Townsend (R). District 54 (Chaves, Eddy and Otero). Room 125, (505) 986-4758. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To send group email, copy and paste this block: “Eliseo Lee Alcon” <email@example.com>, “Deborah A. Armstrong” ,firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Micaela Lara Cadena” <email@example.com>, “Christine Chandler” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Gail Chasey” <email@example.com>, “Zachary J. Cook” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Brian Egolf” <email@example.com>, “Daymon Ely” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Georgene Louis” <email@example.com>, “Matthew McQueen” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Greg Nibert” <email@example.com>, “William “Bill” R. Rehm” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “James G. Townsend” <email@example.com>
And…if you’re a budget wonk, you may want to tune in Saturday morning when Senate Finance hears the state budget bills, HB 2 & 3: Sat., Feb. 12, 10 a.m. Rm. 322. See how to participate below. You don’t need to call or email committee members in this case. But if you want to comment or submit written testimony, the deadline is 12 hours prior, so that means 10 p.m. tonight!
To join the hearing Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81679647964. Or call 1-669-900-9128. Webinar ID: 816 7964 7964. For public participation or written comments email SFC@nmlegis.gov Sponsors and Experts have 10 minutes to present the bill followed by 15 minutes each for Proponents and Opponents. Each 15 minutes will be divided by up to ten speakers that may either participate virtually or in-person. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with the virtual meeting instructions. Written comments must include your Name, Entity Represented, Bill #, For or Against and limit to 300 words or less. All Committee Members will have access to written comments. DEADLINE: 12 hours prior to meeting time.
So, a relatively quiet Saturday. We all need a break. Let’s rest, relax, and rejuvenate for the final days of the session ahead.
In hope and solidarity,
Roxanne and Paul