Good Morning New Mexico Activists:
Thank you for all your calls and emails on SJR 3 (Green Amendment) on Monday! It passed Senate Rules with the sponsors’ amendment, the one that we’d hoped for. Senator Ivey-Soto even voted against his own amendment and then joked about it! Now it moves to Senate Judiciary.
Several of you have requested that we combine legislator email lists in one block so they can be copied and pasted into a single email. But we urge you to avoid sending group emails. It takes a bit more time, but individual emails to legislators are much better. We appreciate your efforts and want them to be as effective as possible!
Here’s what we have coming up Wednesday through Saturday. Note that the deadline to participate in Senate Conservation on Thursday is TODAY at 5 p.m. More info below:
Weds., Feb. 10, 1:30 p.m. House Judiciary: HB 40 Private Detention Facility Moratorium Act. You’ll find talking points at the link in the title. Please call and email committee members this morning to urge them to support this bill. See contact info below. Watch the hearing Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or join the webinar at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89543370073. Or iPhone one-tap: US: +16699009128, ,89543370073# or +12532158782,,89543370073# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 Webinar ID: 895 4337 0073.
House Judiciary Committee (HJC)
- Gail Chasey (D), Chair, 505-986-4411, email@example.com
- Micaela Lara Cadena (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4210, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eliseo Lee Alcon (D), 505-986-4416, email@example.com
- Deborah A. Armstrong (D), 505-986-4344, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zachary J. Cook (R), 505-986-4221, Zachary.email@example.com
- Brian Egolf, 505-986-4782, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daymon Ely (D), 505-986-4432, email@example.com
- Georgene Louis (D), 505-986-4346, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matthew McQueen (D), 505-986-4423, email@example.com
- Greg Nibert (R), 505-986-4211, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill R. Rehm (R), 505-986-4214, email@example.com
- James G. Townsend (R), 505-986-4758, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thurs., Feb. 11, 8:30 a.m. Senate Conservation: SB 155 Energy Transmission Authority Changes, amends the Energy Transition Act (ETA). This is one of the most important bills we’re supporting this year. Get talking points at the link above, or read a more detailed explanation in our blog at this link. Please call and email committee members right away and ask them to support SB 155. You can also send an email to express your support to SCONC@nmlegis.gov following the instructions below, whether or not you want to offer public comment. Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov or follow these instructions from the committee: For public participation send an email to SCONC@nmlegis.gov with your Name, Entity Represented, Bill #, For or Against, and indicate if you wish to speak. The deadline to respond is TODAY, Feb. 10 at 5 p.m. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with the virtual meeting instructions.
- Liz Stefanics (D), Chair, 505-397-8851, email@example.com
- Antoinette Sedillo Lopez (D), Vice Chair, 505-397-8847, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David M. Gallegos (R), Ranking Member, 505-986-4278, email@example.com
- Joseph Cervantes (D), 505-397-8820, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carrie Hamblen (D), 505-397-8827, email@example.com
- Steven P. Neville (R), 505-986-4701, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harold Pope, Jr. (D), 505-397-8843, email@example.com
- Gregg Schmedes (R), 505-986-4395, firstname.lastname@example.org
- William P. Soules (D), 505-397-8850, email@example.com
Sat., Feb. 13, 9 a.m. Senate Conservation: SB 149 Prohibit New Fracking Licenses. This is a Priority bill, not on our Transformational list, so we don’t have talking points but here’s a brief summary: This bill would halt the issuance of new permits allowing hydraulic fracturing for the purpose of extracting oil or natural gas until 6/1/25. The State would be required to provide annual recommendations for legislation and regulation regarding hydraulic fracturing, and report annually on the number of active permits and applications, and trends for methane and greenhouse gas emissions. They would also report annually on actual and potential impacts on agriculture, environment, public health, public transportation infrastructure, surface and ground waters, tribal governments, trust lands, and allotted landowners; and report on workers comp claims filed for injuries due to employment and the number of workers performing work.
Use the same contact info in the hearing listed above to call and email committee members to urge them to support this bill. Watch the hearing Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or follow these instructions to participate in the hearing: send an email to SCONC@nmlegis.gov with your Name, Entity Representing, Bill #, For or Against, and an email address by Friday, February 12, 5:00 p.m. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with virtual meeting instructions.
Sat., Feb. 13, 10:30 a.m. House Health & Human Services: HB 12 and HB 17 Cannabis Regulation Act (same name for both). There are four cannabis legalization bills that we’re sorting through: the two above and SB 13 and SB 288. Based on sponsors alone, it looks like HB 12 is the one to support (Reps. Javier Martinez, Andrea Romero, Deb Armstrong). Get general talking points at the link above and please call and email committee members before Saturday morning. Watch the Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or join the webinar here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89853256841. Or iPhone one-tap: US: +13462487799,,89853256841# or +16699009128,,89853256841# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 Webinar ID: 898 5325 6841.
House Health and Human Services Committee (HHHC)
- Deborah A. Armstrong (D), Chair, 505-986-4344, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joanne J. Ferrary (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4438, email@example.com
- Phelps Anderson (R), 505-986-4450, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gail Armstrong (R), 505-986-4242, email@example.com
- Brittney Barreras (D), 505-986-4248, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karen C. Bash (D), 505-986-4236, email@example.com
- Stefani Lord (R), 505-986-4453, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marian Matthews (D), 505-986-4248, email@example.com
- Roger E. Montoya (D), 505-986-4464, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luis M. Terrazas (R), 505-986-4336, email@example.com
- Liz Thomson (D), 505-986-4425, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat., Feb. 13, 1 p.m. House Agriculture & Water Resources: HB 207 Food, Hunger & Farm Act. This bill would launch a massive statewide effort to address hunger, malnutrition, and food and water insecurity in our state. Get talking points at the link above, and please call and email committee members before Saturday to urge them to support the bill. Watch the hearing Webcast at nmlegis.gov, or join the webinar here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82072641109 Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699009128,,82072641109# or +12532158782,,82072641109# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 Webinar ID: 820 7264 1109
House Agriculture & Water Resource Committee (HAGC)
- Derrick J. Lente (D), Chair, 505-986-4341, email@example.com
- Susan K. Herrera (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4249, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony Allison (D), 505-986-4436, Anthony.email@example.com
- Cathrynn N. Brown (R), 505-986-4227, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candy Spence Ezzell (R), 505-986-4454, email@example.com
- Day Hochman-Vigil (D), 505-986-4432, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marian Matthews (D), 505-986-4248, email@example.com
- Nathan P. Small (D), 505-986-4319, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martin R. Zamora (R), 505-986-4211, email@example.com
There’s a lot of legislation on the House Floor Calendar, too, if you want to check it out at this link. You can’t offer public comment, but you can call and/or email your Rep. to ask her/him to support the bills you care about.
Thank you for your time and energy. The more of us who are engaged in this way, the more likely we’ll get the legislation we need to improve the lives of all New Mexicans and protect our precious land, air, and water!
In solidarity and hope,
Roxanne and Paul