Good afternoon New Mexico activists:
We have three new hearings to tell you about, but first, a brief note about contacting committee members: we’ve heard various stories about legislators getting so much email they may not be reading it, so we recommend a subject line of something like: “Please support (bill #, e.g. HB 86).” We’ve also heard conflicting stories about phone calls, but we still think calls are worthwhile. You may not get an answer before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m., and we’ve noticed that you may need to let it ring 10+ times before voicemail kicks in, so please be patient and do what you can to get your message through!
NEW: Mon., Feb. 1, 8 a.m., House Education Committee is scheduled to hear HB 86 Native American Library, Internet & Education. You’ll find talking points at the link in the bill title. Follow the link below to join the Zoom and offer public comment. Or you can watch the hearing at nmlegis.gov, under Webcasts in the top menu bar. And please use the contact info below to call and email committee members as soon as possible.
Link to join the webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84672132667. Or iPhone one-tap: US: +16699009128,,84672132667# or +12532158782,,84672132667# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799
Webinar ID: 846 7213 2667
House Education Committee (HEC)
- G. Andrés Romero (D), Chair, 505-986-4846, email@example.com
- Joy Garratt (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4249, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alonzo Baldonado (R), 505-986-4221, email@example.com
- Jack Chatfield (R), 505-986-4467, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Dow (R). 505-986-4336, email@example.com
- Candy Spence Ezzell (R), 505-986-4454, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Natalie Figueroa (D), 505-986-4255, email@example.com
- T. Ryan Lane (R), 505-986-4226, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Raymundo Lara (D), 505-986-4233, email@example.com
- Derrick J. Lente (D), 505-986-4341, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Willie D. Madrid (D), 505-986-4436, email@example.com
- Patricia Roybal Caballero (D), 505-986-4248, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheryl Williams Stapleton (D), 505-986-4780, email@example.com
- Candie G. Sweetser (D), 505-986-4255, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christine Trujillo (D), 505-986-4435, email@example.com
NEW: Mon., Feb. 1, 9 a.m., House Taxation & Revenue Committee is scheduled to hear HB 42 Low-Income Comprehensive Tax Rebate (LICTR) Changes. HB 42 would update the 20-year-old LICTR rebate to adjust for inflation by changing the income threshold for qualified tax filers and increasing the amount of the rebate by 50%. Research shows the most effective ways to provide relief to families impacted by the pandemic, to reduce poverty, and to recirculate money in local economies is through more equitable tax policy such as HB 42. We don’t have specific talking points, but you can learn more about advocating for tax and revenue reform at this link.
Follow the link below to join the Zoom and offer public comments. Or you can watch the hearing at nmlegis.gov, under Webcasts in the top menu bar. Please use the contact info below to call and email committee members as soon as possible.
Link to join the webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84898317503. Or iPhone one-tap: US: +13462487799,,84898317503# or +16699009128,,84898317503# Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592
Webinar ID: 848 9831 7503
House Taxation & Revenue Committee (HTRC)
- Javier Martinez (D), Chair, 505-986-4428, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christine Chandler (D), Vice Chair, 505-986-4242, email@example.com
- Micaela Lara Cadena (D), 505-986-4210, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brian Egolf, 505-986-4782, email@example.com
- Jason C. Harper (R), 505-986-4220, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joshua Hernandez (R), 505-986-4450, email@example.com
- Tara L. Lujan (D), 505-986-4254, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Antonio Maestas, (D), 505-986-4333, email@example.com
- Rod Montoya (R), 505-986-4758, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrea Romero (D), 505-986-4243, email@example.com
- Larry R. Scott (R), 505-986-4450, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melanie A. Stansbury (D), 505-986-4336, email@example.com
- James R.J. Strickler (R), 505-986-4220, firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Tues., Feb. 2, 9 a.m., Senate Conservation Committee is scheduled to hear SB 112 Sustainable Economy Task Force, SB 86 Use of Water for Oil & Gas Operations (amends Produced Water Act), and SB 83 Local Choice Energy Act. These bills are 4th, 5th, and 6th (as listed above) on the agenda, and they’ve all been carried over from previous hearings, so we don’t know if the committee will get to them all on Tuesday. We just have to wait and see. Please note the deadline below if you want to offer public hearing. Otherwise, you can watch the hearing at nmlegis.gov, under Webcasts in the top menu bar. Please use the contact info below to call and email committee members as soon as you can.
For public participation send an email to SCONC@nmlegis.gov with your Name, Organizational Affiliation, Bill #, For or Against and indicate if you wish to speak. The deadline to respond is Monday, February 1 at 3:00 p.m. You will be contacted by our Zoom Operator with the virtual meeting instructions.
Senate Conservation Committee (SCONC)
- Liz Stefanics (D), Chair, 505-397-8851, email@example.com
- Antoinette Sedillo Lopez (D), Vice Chair, 505-397-8847, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David M. Gallegos (R), Ranking Member, 505-986-4278, email@example.com
- Joseph Cervantes (D), 505-397-8820, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carrie Hamblen (D), 505-397-8827, email@example.com
- Steven P. Neville (R), 505-986-4701, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harold Pope, Jr. (D), 505-397-8843, email@example.com
- Gregg Schmedes (R), 505-986-4395, firstname.lastname@example.org
- William P. Soules (D), 505-397-8850, email@example.com
Thanks again for your dedication to making democracy work for all of us!
In solidarity and hope,
Roxanne and Paul