Good Morning New Mexico Activists:
First, what’s new:
TODAY, Tues., Jan. 25, 30 minutes after Senate Floor session (between 1:30 – 3 p.m.?) the Senate Tax, Business & Transportation Committee will hear SB 21 Electric Vehicle Income Tax Credit. We don’t have talking points for you yet, but we hope to have them up on our Bills We Support webpage by noon today. This bill will give tax credits for purchasing an electric vehicle and for installing an EV charging unit. Please email and call committee members ASAP to tell them to pass this bill. (Committee contact info below.)
The hearing may be viewed via Webcast at http://www.nmlegis.gov (click on the Webcast tab and select Tax, Business & Transportation.) Or go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84895112616 to join the Webinar and offer public comment, or via telephone 1-669-900-9128. Webinar ID: 848 9511 2616.
Senate Tax, Business and Transportation
- Chair: Benny Shendo, Jr. (D). District 22 (Bernalillo, McKinley, Rio Arriba, San Juan and Sandoval). Room 323A, (505) 986-4310. Email: email@example.com
- Vice Chair: Carrie Hamblen (D). District 38 (Dona Ana). Room 416G, (505) 986-4266. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ranking Member: Gay G. Kernan (R). District 42 (Chaves, Eddy, and Lea). Room 415E, (505) 986-4274. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Craig W. Brandt (R). District 40 (Sandoval). Room 109B, (505) 986-4385. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Ron Griggs (R). District 34 (Doña Ana, Eddy and Otero). Room 414A, (505) 986-4391. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Martin Hickey (D). District 20 (Bernalillo). Room 416D, (505) 986-4513. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Leo Jaramillo (D). District 5 (Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Sandoval ? Santa Fe). Room 416C, (505) 986-4487. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Joshua A. Sanchez (R). District 30 (Cibola, McKinley, Socorro ? Valencia). Room 414B, (505) 986-4375. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Bill Tallman (D). District 18 (Bernalillo). Room 300C, (505) 986-4373. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Peter Wirth (D). District 25 (Santa Fe). Room 119, (505) 986-4727. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To send a group email, copy and paste this list: “Craig W. Brandt” <email@example.com>, “Ron Griggs” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Carrie Hamblen” <email@example.com>, “Martin Hickey” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Leo Jaramillo” <email@example.com>, “Gay G. Kernan” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Joshua A. Sanchez” <email@example.com>, “Benny Shendo” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Bill Tallman” <email@example.com>, “Peter Wirth” <firstname.lastname@example.org>
As we told you in yesterday’s Alert,HB 37 Community Energy Efficiency Dev. Block Grant and HB 65 Housing Modernization Changes, will be heard TODAY, Tues., at 1:30 p.m. in House Consumer & Public Affairs. If you want more details about that hearing and contact info for committee members, you can find what you need in this link to yesterday’s Alert.
We’re happy to report that SJR 8 Salaries for Public Officials (Paid Legislature) passed Senate Rules yesterday by a vote of 7:1. (Thanks to volunteer Bob Alei for observing and taking notes in that hearing.)
Join Our Legislative Strategy Huddle Tomorrow
Please join us tomorrow, Weds., Jan. 26, 6-7 p.m., when we will hear from water experts Norm Gaume and Ralph Wrons about the best of the many water bills being considered this session, and Angela Merkert, Alliance for Local Economic Prosperity, who will talk about HB75 Public Banking Act. We may also have Mary Feldblum to discuss the status of the Health Security effort. A packed agenda. You must register to participate. Click here to register. See you there!
Small Loan Rate Cap Bills
We’d put HB 78 Cap on Certain Interest Rates and SB 107 Installment Loan Percentage Rates on our list of bills to support, but the House Rules Committee deemed HB 78 “not germane.” It’s a fancy way of saying that a bill will not be advanced in this session, typically because it has no funding attached to it and short sessions are supposed to be focused on the budget or bills related to tax and revenue. We’re guessing the same may happen to SB 107 in the Senate, but we’ll see.
In the meantime, another bill to lower the small loan rate interest cap was introduced yesterday by Rep. Susan Herrera: HB 132 Interest Rates for Certain Loans. It was posted on nmlegis.gov at 5:30 last night, so we haven’t had time to analyze it (42 pages). But we’ve heard that it contains something budget-related so that it will qualify as “germane” to this session. We’ll tell you when we know more.
Thanks to our wonderful and hard-working volunteer Michael Sperberg-McQueen, we have all the updated 2022 committee contact information posted on our website. You can quickly get names, positions, districts, Roundhouse room numbers, phone numbers, and email for House and Senate Committee members at this link.
That’s all for today. Thank you for your commitment to this process. It takes all of us to get these bills passed!
In Solidarity and Hope,
Roxanne and Paul