Good Morning, New Mexico Activists:
We have a new hearing to tell you about on Tuesday afternoon and a few reminders about the Zoom Webinar on Blue Hydrogen on Monday, our Legislative Huddle on Wednesday, and our webinar on The Green Amendment on Feb. 2. If you missed Saturday’s Alert with info about hearings on Climate Resiliency, Water Resiliency and Storage of High-Level Nuclear Waste, you can find it here.
On Tues., Jan. 24, 1:30 p.m., in Room 315, the House Labor, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee will hear HB 25 Minimum Wage Increase & Indexing. HB 25, introduced by Reps. Christine Chandler and Patricia Roybal Caballero, would increase the state minimum wage to $16/hr. (currently $12) beginning Jan. 1, 2024, and annually thereafter provide an adjustment based on inflation. You’ll find talking points at the link in the bill title above.
Use the contact list below to call and email committee members today to urge them to vote “YES” on HB 25. On Tuesday, you can attend the meeting in person, watch via Webcast at this link, or participate in the meeting Zoom. To offer public comment, you need to be there in person or participate via Zoom. Join the Zoom at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83177147401. Or One tap mobile: US: +17193594580, 83177147401# or +12532050468, ,83177147401#. Webinar ID: 831 7714 7401.
- Chair: Eliseo Lee Alcon (D). District 6 (Cibola & McKinley). Room 314A, 986-4416. Email: email@example.com
- Vice Chair: Patricia Roybal Caballero (D). District 13 (Bernalillo). Room 206B, 986-4248. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: John Block (R). District 51 (Otero). Room 202B, 986-4220.
- Member: Eleanor Chavez (D). District 26 (Bernalillo). Room 205B, 986-4242. Email: Eleanor.Chavez@nmlegis.gov
- Member: Natalie Figueroa (D). District 30 (Bernalillo). Room 203AN, 986-4255. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Miguel P. Garcia (D). District 14 (Bernalillo). Room 205B, 986-4242. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Yanira Gurrola (D). District 16 (Bernalillo). Room 203BN, no number listed yet. Email: email@example.com
- Member: D. Wonda Johnson (D). District 5 (McKinley & San Juan). Room 413D, 986-4236. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Alan T. Martinez (R). District 23 (Sandoval). Room 203HN, 986-4453. Email: Alan.Martinez@nmlegis.gov
- Member: Andrea Reeb (R). District 64 (Chaves, Curry & Roosevelt). Room 201A, 986-4215. Email: Andrea.Reeb@nmlegis.gov
- Member: Luis M. Terrazas (R). District 39 (Catron, Grant & Hidalgo). Room 203DN, 986-4336. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Harlan Vincent (R). District 56 (Lincoln & Otero). Room 203FN, 986-4467. Email: Harlan.Vincent@nmlegis.gov
Copy and paste the following list to send bulk mail: “Eliseo Lee Alcon” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “John Block” <John.Block@nmlegis.gov>, “Eleanor Chavez” <Eleanor.Chavez@nmlegis.gov>, “Natalie Figueroa” <email@example.com>, “Miguel P. Garcia” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Yanira Gurrola” <email@example.com>, “D. Wonda Johnson” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Alan T. Martinez” <Alan.Martinez@nmlegis.gov>, “Andrea Reeb” <Andrea.Reeb@nmlegis.gov>, “Patricia Roybal Caballero” <email@example.com>, “Luis M. Terrazas” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Harlan Vincent” <Harlan.Vincent@nmlegis.gov>
Blue Hydrogen Webinar Tonight
Mon. Jan. 23, 6:30 p.m: Blue Hydrogen Hub Briefing with Tom Solomon from 350NM and Dr. Tom Singer from the Western Environmental Law Center. Learn why blue hydrogen is being pushed by the fossil fuel industry to sell more natural gas. It is NOT a climate solution. Please share this Zoom info with your legislators. What most legislators know about hydrogen comes from industry lobbyist. Register at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIvce2rqzkvHNf69_9ve-AT64v6V-4GSJSw.
A couple of recent articles to read in the meantime:
- New Mexico Lawmakers aim to attract hydrogen investments – Abq Journal, Jan 15, 2023
- Debate over hydrogen poised to return this legislative session – NM Political Report, Jan 9, 2023
- Retake’s Fact Sheet on Why Hydrogen Development is Bad for New Mexico
Retake Legislative Huddle
Join us on Weds., Jan. 25, 6-7 p.m. for our weekly Legislative Huddle where we will discuss new bills and new information that we’ve learned since our last Huddle. We want to hear from you about the bills you’re supporting and any info you have that might be useful to advocates. Click here to register.
Zoom Webinar on The Green Amendment
Join us on Thurs., Feb. 2, 6-7:30 p.m., for a Zoominar on the Green Amendment: What It Is, What It Isn’t. We’ll discuss why NM needs the Green Amendment and help counter the misinformation swirling around our legislators. Panelists include Green Amendment founder Maya van Rossum, and attorneys Mark Freed from Pennsylvania and Todd Ommen from New York, who will tell us how the Green Amendment was implemented in their states and discuss cases that have come up so far. A fourth panelist from NM will be added soon. Click here to register. You must register to participate.
We’re looking forward to a productive legislative session with all of you this year. We’re grateful to be able to contribute to your effective activism with these Alerts!
In Solidarity and Gratitude,
Roxanne & Paul