Good Sunday Evening, New Mexico Activists:
As some of you know from reading yesterday’s blog post, we had a bit of setback this week when Paul wound up in the ER with acute chest pain most of the day Friday. The good news is he seems to be fine now, though the cause is still unknown. But he’s feeling much better and we’re scrambling to get caught up with upcoming hearings and preparing bill summaries to help you with your advocacy.
Here’s what we know is coming up so far this week:
Mon., Jan. 24, 9 a.m., Rm. 321, Senate Rules Committee is scheduled to hear SJR 8 Salaries for Public Officials, CA. This is Sen. Ivey-Soto’s bill that would put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to give the State Ethics Commission authority to review and establish salaries for legislators. Our legislature will never fully represent the people of New Mexico until they are paid — then working people can afford to serve, not just those who are independently wealthy or bankers, lawyers, or corporate business owners.
Please read the speaking points at the link above, email committee members tonight, and make calls first thing in the morning to urge them to support this bill. See committee contact info below. You can also offer public comment by joining the Zoom (info below) and using the Raise Hand function when they ask who wants to speak.
Meeting may be viewed via Webcast at www.nmlegis.gov (click on the Webcast tab and select Senate Rules.) Go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86412647187 to join the Webinar or via telephone 1-253-215-8782. Webinar ID: 864 126 47187.
Senate Rules Committee
- Chair: Daniel A. Ivey-Soto (D). District 15 (Bernalillo). Room 320A, (505) 986-4270. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair: Leo Jaramillo (D). District 5 (Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Sandoval ? Santa Fe). Room 416C, (505) 986-4487. Email: email@example.com
- Ranking Member: Stuart Ingle (R). District 27 (Chaves, Curry, De Baca, Lea and Roosevelt). Room 415G, (505) 986-4702. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Gregory A. Baca (R). District 29 (Bernalillo ? Valencia). Room 109A, (505) 986-4877. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Katy M. Duhigg (D). District 10 (Bernalillo ? Sandoval). Room 300B, (505) 986-4726. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Linda M. Lopez (D). District 11 (Bernalillo). Room 120A, (505) 986-4737. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Mark Moores (R). District 21 (Bernalillo). Room 109C, (505). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Gerald Ortiz y Pino (D). District 12 (Bernalillo). Room 300A, (505) 986-4482. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Cliff R. Pirtle (R). District 32 (Chaves, Eddy and Otero). Room 414D, (505) 986-4369. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Mimi Stewart (D). District 17 (Bernalillo). Room 105A, (505) 986-4734. Email: https://bit.ly/ContactSenStewart
- Member: Peter Wirth (D). District 25 (Santa Fe). Room 119, (505) 986-4727. Email: email@example.com
Use the following list to send a group email: “Gregory A. Baca” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Katy M. Duhigg” <email@example.com>, “Stuart Ingle” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Daniel A. Ivey-Soto” <email@example.com>, “Leo Jaramillo” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Linda M. Lopez” <email@example.com>, “Mark Moores” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Gerald Ortiz y Pino” <email@example.com>, “Cliff R. Pirtle” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Mimi Stewart” <https://bit.ly/ContactSenStewart>, “Peter Wirth” <email@example.com>
Tues., Jan. 25, 1:30 p.m. (or 15 mins. following floor session), Rm. 315, House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee is scheduled to hear HB 37 Community Energy Efficiency Dev. Block Grant and HB 65 Housing Modernization Changes. (Read about HB 65 at the preceding link.) We’ll have talking points on our website for HB 37 on Monday by noon, but in the meantime here’s the gist: it would fund renewable energy projects in low-income, underserved communities, creating jobs and reducing energy burdens of low-income residents. You can read the bill itself at nmlegis.gov here, but go back to our Bills We Support page on Monday around noon to get more detailed talking points for HB 37.
Please use the committee list below to call and email members on Monday to urge them to support HB 37 and HB 65. If you want to offer public comment, use the link below to join the Zoom. Or watch by going to “Webcast” in the top menu bar at nmlegis.gov and looking for the committee name in the list of hearings available. You can also offer public comment by joining the Zoom and using the Raise Hand function when they ask who wants to speak.
To join the webinar: https:/us02web.zoom.us/j/82353539692. Or one tap mobile US: +16699009128,, 82353539692# or +12532158782,,82353539692# Or dial a number based on your current location): +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799. Webinar ID: 823 5353 9692.
House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee
- Chair: Joanne J. Ferrary (D). District 37 (Doña Ana). Room 314C, (505) 986-4844. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair: Andrea Romero (D). District 46 (Santa Fe). Room 205A, (505) 986-4243. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Stefani Lord (R). District 22 (Bernalillo, Sandoval ? Santa Fe). Room 203HN, (505) 986-4453. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member: Randall T. Pettigrew (R). District 61 (Lea). Room 203FN, (505) 986-4467. Email: email@example.com
- Member: Elizabeth “Liz” Thomson (D). District 24 (Bernalillo). Room 314B, (505) 986-4425. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the following list if you want to send a group 3mail: “Joanne J. Ferrary” <email@example.com>, “Stefani Lord” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Randall T. Pettigrew” <email@example.com>, “Andrea Romero” <firstname.lastname@example.org>, “Elizabeth “Liz” Thomson” email@example.com
Thank you for being in this effort with us!
In Solidarity and Hope,
Roxanne & Paul